Diarrhea is a digestive problem which causes frequent bowel discharge in the form of acute stomach cramps and watery stools. Most of us have suffered from diarrhea once in our lifetime. It is embarrassing to share and can cause problem in work place with distant bathroom.
It takes up-to 4-6 days before symptoms of diarrhea goes away. Infants and children are more prone to this infectious stomach disease. Blood coming out from your stool is the case of bloody diarrhea which can not be treated at home. You have to get your self checked for celiac disease. Bloody diarrhea can be fatal for infants and older people.
If you are allergic to gluten then look for gluten free foods as they can help you get rid of this watery stool condition. Many times it is compared to stomach flu also known as gastroenteritis which is caused by bacteria, virus or food poisoning. So lets understand this condition in much details before we move on to our diarrhea remedies.
What Causes Diarrhea?
There can be many factors responsible for causing diarrhea in adults and children. Here are some of the common ways people suffer from loose motion which looks like yellow-watery stools that you can not hold on.
Bacterial Infection is responsible for causing chronic diarrhea that don’t go away on its own. These harmful bacteria infect your intestine and cause leaky gut. Eating contaminated food or drinking infected liquid are one of the main reason for bacterial infection in stomach.
Viral Infection causes most types of diarrhea where the color of your poop will look like green, yellowish. It trigger most of the symptoms and cause watery bowel movement that results into loose motion.
Reactions To Medications is another common reason behind your watery stools. When the drug does not suits you and causes an allergic reaction with your digestive enzymes, it causes indigestion and bloating.
Food Poisoning is one of the main reason behind vomiting and diarrhea. They are easily treatable by activated charcoal but the symptoms such as liquid poop will remain for few days.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) prevent your digestion from being complete and discharge more liquid in intestine than required. Such inflammatory diseases can trigger diarrhoea very fast and treating them requires proper diagnosis and attention of healthcare professional. It includes Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, both of them are responsible for causing chronic diarrhea.
Food Allergies and intolerance can also trigger diarrhea in adults and children. People having problem in digesting milk are called lactose intolerant. They are more prone to produce gas and watery feces after consuming milk or dairy product.
Dehydration cause loss of water from our body which trigger irregular bowel movements. It can occur due to low water consumption or loosing too much of water after vomiting.
Other Common Causes of Diarrhea
- Drinking contaminated water which may contains bacteria, fungi, virus or parasites.
- Emotional stress and anxiety.
- Medications such as antibiotics can react and cause diarrhea.
- Alcohol poisoning or excessive intake of caffeine.
- Eating too much of greasy food that can not go well with your digestive system.
What causes diarrhea in infants, toddler and children
- Common cold can make your child health go haywire. It affects there respiratory system and may trigger loose motion.
- Allergy to milk is hard to identify during early childhood which adversely affects there intestine health.
- Bacterial infection that came from touching dirty floor or licking some contaminated toys.
- If mother is on some antibiotics, it can affect the quality of mothers milk.
- Sometimes moms eat something which leaves their residual in milk, during breastfeeding they get transferred to your kid which may be hard for them to digest.
- Rotavirus, which is the most common cause of diarrhea in children under the age of 2 often called toddler or infants.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
Most cases of diarrhea comes along with common health condition. It is common in both adults and kids as any problem to our digestive system affects entire health. Here are some of the symptoms you may have to face:
- Increased frequency of bowel movements also known as absolute diarrhea.
- Watery, liquid stools of different color such as green, black, yellow or bloody.
- Mild to severe stomach cramps sometimes confused with abdominal pain.
- Bloating and gas
- The urgent feeling of going to the toilet.
- Mild fever, in case of high fever get your self diagnosed.
- Dry mouth because of dehydration caused by diarrhea.
- Infants and kids may urinated less and have sunken eyes.
15 Home Remedies for Diarrhea
You can stop diarrhea with variety of natural home remedies that can help you get rid of yellow watery stools and bloating.
1. Drink Apple Juice
Drinking one glass of chilled apple juice will help you stop diarrhea by replacing salts and minerals lost to diarrhea. The anti-inflammatory properties of apple will reduce inflammation of intestine and protect your gut from infection.
This remedy can be given to adults and kids above the age of 5. Infants and kids under the age of 2 may not be able to digest this fruit juice.
Take 2 apples and peel their skin. Put them in a blender and add handful of ice cubes. Blend it for 2-3 minutes. Drink it daily after your breakfast to reduce the the frequency of watery stools.
2. Stay Hydrated
Diarrhea can cause loss of water which may push you in the phase of dehydration. Lack of water in your body can cause more severe damage so drink plenty of clear and non-acidic fluids. Dehydration from chronic diarrhea can be fatal to younger children and older adults.
Sip on some hydration solution under recommended dosage. An adults should drink 3 liters of water every day in case of dehydration from diarrhea. It will help you stop loose motion and prevent the urge of frequent toilet visits.
3. Fresh Orange Peel Tea
Orange peel stimulate digestion and it is one of the best home remedy to stop diarrhea. This remedy is not suitable for kids. The fluids of orange peels have detoxing agent which also help with food poisoning and overeating.
To make this herbal tea, you will need organically grown orange peels. Most of the on-shelf fruits are sprayed with pesticide and other preservative which damages the quality of the fruit skin.
Peel one organic orange and chop the peel into fine parts. Take a pot and throw them inside. Pour half cup of boiling water and allow it to steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain and mix honey as natural sweetener. Drink this herbal tea twice a day to stop diarrhea fast.
4. Probiotics For Diarrhea
Stomach bacterial infection cause trouble in your digestion. They mostly affect the gastric system which causes formation of gas and bloating. Eating probiotics as natural remedy to stop diarrhea can help you stabilize the imbalance between good and bad bacteria.
Yogurt contains high amount of live-active cultures also know as “Good Bacteria” can help you cure intestinal infection and soothes inflamed intestine. Probiotics are naturally alkalizing agent helpful in inhibiting acidity.
People suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can benefit from eating probiotics. It help regulate gas and promote easy bowel movement. Yogurt may reduce allergic reaction induced diarrhea from antibiotics.
Take one cup of plain-unsweetened yogurt and mix 1 tablespoon of organic honey. Whisk it for a while and eat such two bowls in a day to get rid of watery stools fast. Probiotics also calm down irritated stomach and prevent stomach cramps and abdominal pain.
5. Avoid Eating Too Much of Laxative
Laxatives are one of the easy way out from indigestion or overeating, but many people over do the laxative and it causes loose motion and bloating. Avoiding the consumption of over the counter laxative can help you stop diarrhea naturally.
It is not always the infection, but eating slippery foods which passes your undigested food from intestine can disturb the stomach health.
They also flush out good bacteria from gastrointestinal system which is essential for proper function of your digestive system.
6. Boiled White Rice Water
Boiled rice water can bind your bowel and works perfectly to stop diarrhea fast. It help reduce the dispersion of undigested food and keep them together. Such binding of bowel help intestine to easily digest them without discharging lots of fluid in your poop.
Simply eat two cups of plain boiled white rice everyday until your diarrhea is under control. You can mix it with yogurt and add some honey as sweetener.
Alternatively, pour 1/4 cup of white rice in a saucepan and add 2 cups of water. Start the flame and bring the water to boiling point. Let it simmer for 5 minutes then collect the water. When it is at room temperature drink 1/2 cup of boiled rice water to soothe upset stomach.
7. Replenishing Water Loss
For adults, drinking sports drink such as Gatorade or Powerade can help you restore your water levels by replenishing electrolytes in addition to providing hydration.
Milk is not a good source of clear fluid and it contains active bacteria which can make your diarrhea worse. You can drink watermelon juice to increase the antioxidant levels of your body. It help protect your gut and intestine from inflammation and reduce stomach cramps.
Add clear broths and vegetable soups in your diet to fulfill the loss of water.
Ginger has soothing effect on upset stomach and popular treatment of food poisoning. It anti-inflammatory and carminative properties makes it one of the effective home remedy to stop diarrhea.
It is an herb that relieves flatulence and related disease such as loose motion and gastritis. Drinking a cup of ginger tea will help your burp out excessive gas and provide relief from burning sensation in your stomach. Thanks to its antibacterial and antiviral properties, this herb can help you prevent infection from getting worse.
In one cup of boiling water mix 2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger. Add honey for its healing properties and as sweetening agent. Allow them to simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and drink it daily until your condition improves.
9. Start BRAT Diet
You definitely don’t want to eat when you develop diarrhea but it is only going to make you more sick and weak. Stick to low-fiber “BRAT” foods that will help firm your stool and eliminate weakness. BRAT diet is one simple eating habit where you can consume only four foods bananas, rice(white), applesauce, and toast.
The burnt part of the toast is helpful in treating food poisoning. One the other hand, banana can clear undigested food particle from your stomach and provide relief from stomach cramps and pain. All of these foods are easy to find even when you are traveling. BRAT is very helpful natural remedy for travelers diarrhea which can be found in almost every part of the planet earth.
10. Chamomile Tea
Another effective home cure to stop diarrhea is chamomile tea. It acts as natural anti-inflammatory agent that promote healing of inflamed intestine and stop uncontrolled urge of pooping. Thanks to its antibacterial properties, chamomile can kill bacterial colonies infecting your intestine.
To make chamomile tea you will need 1 teaspoon of chamomile flower and 1 teaspoon of peppermint leaves. Steep them for 10 minutes in a cup of boiling water. Strain it and drink this herbal tea couple of times in a day to get rid of all the discomforts.
11. Honey To Fight Back Infection
Honey has high viscosity and very slippery to touch. It is one of the best natural antibacterial agent that can protect our body from bacterial invasion. Many cultures believe honey as best remedy to stop diarrhea. Consumption of honey can boost immune strength and help you treat loose motion from inside.
In one cup of lukewarm water dissolve 1 tablespoon of organic honey. Consume it twice for fast healing.
Oatmeal is high in soluble fiber that can bind bowel and stop diarrhea naturally. The soothing abilities of oatmeal protect your stomach from cramps and pain. It absorb acid and residual of food allergies.
Cook yourself one cup of oatmeal and you can enjoy your oats with yogurt. This combination is very healthy for intestine and gut.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
If bacterial infection is the reason of diarrhea then sipping diluted apple cider vinegar can help contain the infection. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which protect you from various health problems such as gas, colic, asthma, constipation and diarrhea.
In one cup of lukewarm water, mix 1-2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and drink it. This may cause belching for a while because it is neutralizing the excessive gas. People swear that drinking this remedy help them with stomach cramps.
Home Remedies for Diarrhea in Babies and Children
1. Sip Some Carrot Soup
Carrot soup is one of the best home remedy for children suffering from diarrhea. It is anti-dyspeptic, natural drug that protect your child from the symptoms of overeating, quick eating and indigestion. Thanks for its high nutritional density, it can replenish the nutrition which was lost during watery stools.
Pectin rich applesauce is good remedy to stop diarrhea in babies. When your child eat applesauce, it stimulates bowel movement and make them more softer, relieving gas and other discomfort caused from loose motion.
3. Burnt Toast
You will never get a hint when your kid had ate something poisonous that can lead to irregular bowel movements. Burnt toast can absorb the toxin from kids stomach and provide relief from pain, bloating and feeling of vomiting. The burnt or roasted part of bread acts as activated charcoal and proven to be an effective cure to stop diarrhea.
Children should be given oral rehydration solutions to replace lost fluids and electrolytes
Other Common Home Remedies for Diarrhea
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Studies have found that the essential oil extracted from the leaves of peppermint can stop diarrhea induced by irritable bowel syndrome. It can reduce bowel inflammation and soothe irritated digestive tract.
2. Aloe vera juice is effective in the treatment of inflammation of digestive tract caused by viral infection, thanks to its antiviral properties.
3. Raw Sprouted Fiber from Flax and Chia seeds are high in soluble fibers which provide relief from upset stomach and reduce diarrhoea.
4. Herbal tea brewed with the use of licorice root, peppermint leaves, ginger, and fennel seeds is another good remedy to stop diarrhea.
5. Flaxseed oil have been used from centuries as a folk remedy to reduce the duration of diarrhea in adults. Make sure not to give flaxseed to your kids.
Conventional Treatment of Diarrhea
If you suffering from loose motion or watery stool from more than one week then consult a doctor or try conventional medicines. If diarrhea remedies are not able to help you get rid of the symptoms in less than a week then you might have been suffering from serious stomach conditions. Generally healthcare professional suggest these treatments:
- Stomach Cleaning Diet: Most doctors prefers not to prescribe diarrhea medicine to the patients, instead they help you plan a diet which can clean your colon. You will be advised not to eat diary products, limit the consumption of alcohol and incorporate soluble fibers rich foods in your diet.
- Anti-diarrheal Medications: These medications are prepared to stop diarrhea symptoms in less than a day. However, many doctors suggest not to use any medication until the condition is persistent for more than 2 days. It is the natural way to remove bacteria and toxins from our body through GI tract. Interrupting it may cause infection in colon or more complex stomach problems.
- Take Precaution While Traveling: Tourist should make sure to take some notes as travelers are more prone to digestive problem due to changing food and water. Always drink water from sealed bottle and avoid street foods. Your body might not be immune to that country viruses and symptoms will be more severe.
Foods To Eat
Poor eating habit often lead to stomach related problems. Make sure that you are eating these foods that stop diarrhea.
- White rice
- Peeled and boiled potatoes
- Herbal soups
- Sports drinks
- Salted crackers
Foods To Avoid
Avoid eating these food when you develop diarrhea.
- Fatty foods
- Caffeinated beverages
- Greasy foods
- Sugar-free gum
- Sweet cherries
- Ice cream
Types of Diarrhea
Based of the color of your stools:
- Bloody diarrhea is a type in which traces of blood can be seen in stools. It can even turn the color of stool black.
- Green diarrhea mostly caused from infection that change the color of feces due to the presence of bacterial colonies.
- Yellow diarrhea is similar to water one and mostly happens due to chronic conditions.
- Black diarrhea can be the result of food poisoning and blood in stool.
Based on the appearance of your poop:
- Watery diarrhea contains more amount of water and less feces.
- Explosive diarrhea is mixed with excessive amount of water and pressurized gas that goes off when you poop.
Based on the recovery time and symptoms:
- Acute diarrhea is generally caused due to viral infection. The most common ones in children are rotavirus and in adults are norovirus (this is sometimes called “cruise ship diarrhea” due to well publicized epidemics.
- Chronic diarrhea can be caused due to various health problems such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn disease (inflammatory bowel disease), ulcerative colitis, malabsoption syndromes in which patient can not digest food properly and other chronic stomach disease
Reasons for Diarrhea Can Be Divide into Four Parts
- The number one is called secretory diarrhea in which too much of liquid is passed in intestine that make stools yellowish and watery. High potassium rich foods such as banana is one of the best remedy to get rid of the discomforts.
- When small molecules passed into colon without being completely digested causes osmotic diarrhea which absorb water and electrolytes from colon and stools. Drink water and clear broths twice a day to replenish your colon with more water.
- Motility-related diarrhea is caused due to problems in intestine where it passes food for removal without properly absorbing electrolytes and water. Sipping vinegar water is perfect remedy to heal inflamed intestine.
- When bacteria, virus or parasite infect the inner linings of intestine, it causes acute inflammation and secret more fluids than usual. Eating antibacterial foods can act as inflammatory diarrhea remedy.
When To See A Doctor
When your diarrhea symptoms get worse you must consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- If suffering from acute fever
- Pus in stool
- Blood in your stool
- Persistent diarrhea
- Sudden weight loss
- Stools that are black and tarry
- Unwearable pain in stomach
- Persistent vomiting
- Chronic diarrhea for 2 days or more than that
- Severe dehydration
- Constant nausea after releasing stool
- Severe pain in your abdomen or rectum (for adults)
These home remedies are helpful in treating diarrhea symptoms to a great extent. Focusing on your diet will help you ease upset stomach and alleviate pain. Home remedies to stop diarrhea naturally will work effectively if there is no stomach ulceration.
Protect your kid from unwanted bacterial infection and use antiseptic wipes to clean their hand. After each loose stool, replace lost fluids with at least one cup of liquid.