Are you tired of suffering from symptoms caused by heartburn? Do you want to know how to treat your heartburn symptoms quickly? If you are looking for the best natural treatments to get rid of heartburn and its symptoms, then you should read this article.
Continue reading to discover home remedies for heartburn relief in more detail!
15 Home Remedies For Heartburn Relief
The following recipes we’ve focused on are traditional remedies, so always consult your doctor to know which remedy works best for your condition.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
For people who are suffering from acid reflux, which causes heartburn, the vinegar may trigger the sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach to close, thus preventing stomach acid from rising up and causing a burning sensation. Of all the types of vinegar, apple cider vinegar will work best for your heartburn condition.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water.
- Drink it before your main meals.
2. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera juice is known as a popular treatment for heartburn. This juice helps you to control heartburn by relieving the inflammation and healing your gastrointestinal tract.
- Drink 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice around 20 minutes before you eat a meal for best results.
- You should not drink too much of this juice in a day because it may cause diarrhea and abdominal pain.
3. Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate or baking soda will help you get easy and quick relief from your heartburn condition. Baking soda is a natural antacid that works effectively within minutes, thus giving you fast relief from heartburn pain.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water.
- Drink it to get instant relief.
- You can also mix some drops of lemon juice into this solution.
4. Fennel Seeds
One of the simplest home remedies for heartburn is chewing fennel seeds. You can chew these seeds many times per day to refresh your breath, and soothe the lining of the digestive tract. You can also drink a cup of fennel seed tea. For making this herbal tea, you add 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds into a cup of boiling water, and then let it cool for about 10 minutes. Strain it to a cup, and you drink it slowly.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory and carminative effects. It has been used to relieve gastric ailments, such as dyspepsia, bloating, and gastritis for thousands of years. Ginger soothes the gastrointestinal lining and may help decrease the production of stomach acid
- Ginger can be used as a spice for cooking
- Another option is eating raw ginger pieces
- Or you can drink ginger tea.
Here are the detailed steps to make this tea:
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to 1 cup of the boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for several minutes.
- Drink this herbal tea 3 or 4 times per day.
6. Slippery Elm
A lot of people have used slippery elm medicinally for treating different types of conditions involving heartburn. Slippery elm can help protect the mucous lining inside your stomach, thus creating a good barrier against acid.
- Add 1 teaspoon of slippery elm powder to a cup of warm water.
- Drink it after your main meals and at bedtime.
7. Cabbage Juice
Cabbage juice contains natural anti-inflammatory qualities that help with various types of digestive problems, including heartburn.
- Grind two carrots and fresh cabbage in a juicer or blender.
- Drink this juice (one-half cup) in the morning on an empty stomach to prevent heartburn.
- You can also drink juices made from vegetables, such as carrots, radishes, beets or cucumbers to decrease the production of stomach acid – a main cause of heartburn.
8. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has been used for multiple gastrointestinal conditions, such as ulcers, flatulence, and gastrointestinal irritation. It additionally contains medicinal properties that are a very effective treatment for heartburn. Besides, the tea helps decrease inflammation in your stomach.
- Boil water (one cup).
- Add the chamomile petals and then simmer for about a minute.
- Put off the flame and cover the pot. Leave it there for about 2-3 minutes.
- Strain and then pour this tea in one cup.
- Add a dash of lemon and honey each.
- It’s better to enjoy chamomile tea before going to sleep.
9. Lemon And Honey Tea
Honey and lemon are very effective in decreasing the occurrence of heartburn because it can sooth the lining of the esophagus.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and drink this mixture when you feel approaching heartburn.
- You can also consume the lemon-honey concoction along with the meals because it will help prevent heartburn.
10. Potato Juice
Another home remedy for heartburn is using potato juice. It is very alkaline and can therefore neutralize the acids in your digestive system, preventing heartburn. You should drink a glass of potato juice first thing in the morning. Only drink fresh juice and not packaged or synthetic juices available in the market. To prepare the juice, what you need to do:
- Use one medium-sized potato.
- Peel and wash this potato well and cut it into four pieces.
- Grind the pieces of potato in an electric mixer and strain the resulting content using one sieve.
- Dilute this juice with cold water but don’t add any herbs or spices to this juice.
11. Marshmallow Root
Using marshmallow root may help get rid of the discomfort of acid reflux. The mucilage in marshmallow root helps to coat the lining of the esophagus that may decrease the burning sensation related to acid reflux. It has further potential benefits in combating gastric ulcers.
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of powdered marshmallow root.
- Consume about 3 or 4 cups of tea in a day.
Because buttermilk contains lactic acid, it can neutralise the acidity of the stomach and provide relief from acid reflux and heartburn.
- You can drink ice cold buttermilk (half a cup) after meals to get instant relief from heartburn.
- You can also use soy products and fermented milk in your diet to reduce the acid reflux problems.
- Stick to low-fat milk to prepare buttermilk because it will help in providing quick relief to heartburn problems.
Even though there are no studies on it yet, mustard can work wonders when you suffer from acid reflux attacks and can provide you with instant relief from heartburn. It is alkaline, which can help to neutralize the acid coming up due to GERD.
- You need just take one teaspoon of yellow mustard) and mix it in half a glass of water.
- Drink this mixture.
- The yellow mustard contains turmeric as one of its major ingredients that will help combat digestive disorders.
14. Drink Water
As you know, water is an effective and natural home remedy for many health problems. Adequate consumption of water will help in getting rid of the excess acid that fills the esophagus.
- All you need to do is drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day whenever you suffer from heartburn problems.
- Make sure that you do not drink too much water because this could make your condition worse.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial for treating heartburn. One study indicated that the anti-inflammatory agents of curcumin inhibited esophageal inflammation. Both turmeric and its extract curcumin has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Because of this, turmeric can help relieve gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Simply, you could add turmeric to your diet.
- Alternatively, you can take capsules of turmeric that are readily available before your meals to help deal with any acid reflux.
- Another option is to add turmeric (a teaspoon) to buttermilk (a glass) and drink this solution daily.
We hope that you find the above home remedies for heartburn helpful in alleviating the symptoms. However, if you find no relief or experience discomfort, you need to consult a doctor immediately. They could be an underlying health issue causing the problem.