Mustard seeds are also known as rai; mohori; shorshe; rai; avalu; kadugu; rai and sarso. In the American cuisine, they are very popular ingredient.
It is known that mustard seeds have many health benefits. Its taste is used in hot dogs. These seeds have medicinal application since the time of Hippocrates.
They are available in black, brown and white varieties and they are used all around the world. Africans, Asians, Romans and Greeks have explored the taste of mustard seeds and they have integrated them into their cuisines.
These seeds are largely used for tempering dishes. People can use it in non – vegetarian dishes to enhance the taste of fishes and meats.
You can add mustard to your salad dressings. You should always try to buy organically – grown mustard seeds. You should always store them in a cool place.
Health benefits of mustard seeds
1. Conditions hair: These seeds have fatty acids which can condition your hair from deep within. Also mustard seeds will give your hair a good shine and bounce.
2. Strengthens hair: These seeds have Omega – 6 fatty acids, Omega – 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, calcium and protein. All of the mentioned vitamins and minerals can strengthen your hair from within. If you have strong hair, then it means that less hair will fall.
3. Hair growth: These seeds have good amount of Vitamin A which is a great nutrient for hair growth. Also this vitamin is acting as a stimulant and it leads to faster hair growth.
4. Fights infections: These seeds have a good amount of sulphur which is possessing anti – fungal properties. These properties can help you to stay away from skin infections.
5. Slows aging: These seeds are rich in lutein and carotene. Mustard seeds are rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Vitamin A. When these vitamins are working together, then they are one of the best antioxidant agents.
6. Hydrates skin: You can use mustard seeds in combination with Aloe Vera gel because this is one of the best natural remedies for hydrating the skin. This home remedy can help to remove all impurities from your face and it can nourish it from within.
7. Natural scrub: You can use the seeds as a natural scrub. You can add rose essential oil or lavender essential oil to it. You should use this scrub for your face and exfoliate the dead skin.
8. Asthma: Those people who suffer from asthma can use it in their diets because they are beneficial. Mustard seeds have selenium, iron, magnesium and copper which are responsible for the prevention of asthma attacks.
9. Blood pressure and menopausal relief: The seeds have many nutrients, such as selenium, magnesium, iron and copper which can assist in the treatment of blood pressure. Also they can give you a relief from menopause.
10. Cancer risk prevention: Mustard seeds have selenium which can provide a good resistance of the body against the cancer cell formation. It acts as anti – oxidant agent which means that it can reduce the risk of developing cancer.
11. Nightshades: If you want to avoid nightshades, then you should add mustard seeds in your daily spices.
12. Respiration: If you have any congestion problem in respiration, then you can use it as your natural treatment because they can give you a relief from these problems.
13. Migraine: These seeds have magnesium which can reduce the occurrence of migraine. You can add mustard to your fish because this can boost the constituting Omega – 3 content.
14. Rheumatic arthritis: Those people who suffer from rheumatic arthritis should use it in their diets because they will provide them a relief from this condition. These seeds have magnesium and selenium which will give you a relief if you suffer from this condition.
15. Cancer treatment: Mustard seeds have some components, like mirosinase and glucosinolates, which are using phytochemicals to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.