Head lice are tiny parasites which live on our scalp and the hair shafts where they feed on the blood. This is one of the most common problems among children.
You can get head lice when you come in a contact with some people who have head lice through sleepovers, sports, play and other gatherings; laying on bedding that an infected person was previously laying on; sharing person care items like brushes and combs that are contaminated and wearing the clothing of someone who has the parasite.
The itching on the head and red bumps on the scalp are 2 most common signs of lice infestation. Head lice reproduce quickly and this is a reason why it is very difficult to eliminate lice parasites within a few days. Combing them out can help you to rid of the head lice but this is a very long and tiring process.
This is a very common problem with schoolchildren and preschool children. Head lice is causing a tickling feeling of that something is moving in your hair, sores and itching on your head. When there are two head lice on your hair, then this means beginning of a head – lice infestation.
If you have very young children, then he or she must be evaluated by a health – care professional before he or she begins to take medications. But there are several home remedies which can help you to solve this problem.
You need to be patient when you are doing some of the mentioned home remedies to rid of the head lice completely. You should avoid dangerous and flammable products such as gasoline or kerosene.
These products should never be used to remove nits or kill lice. Also you should give the upholstered furniture and floor a good vacuuming. You should clean your hair accessories, brushes and combs in hot and soapy water.
It is very good practice for your children to hang their garments on a separate hook from other’s children garments and not to share their scarves, hats, brushes and combs.
Home remedy treatments for head lice
1. Tea tree oil: This is a natural insecticide which is making it one of the best home remedies for the treatment of the head lice. You should mix together 3 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil, one ounce of natural shampoo and one teaspoon of tea tree oil.
You should apply this home remedy gently throughout your hair. Cover your head with a towel or cap. You should leave your head covered for a half an hour and then you should rinse thoroughly with hot water.
Finally, you should comb through your hair while it is still wet because it can help you to remove the dead lice. You should never apply tea tree oil directly to your scalp.
2. Petroleum jelly: This natural cure can have a stifling effect on roaming lice. You should apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly to your scalp before you go to sleeping. Cover you head tightly with a towel or shower cap.
You should let it on overnight. In the morning when you wake up, you should use baby oil to remove the petroleum jelly. You should comb your hair thoroughly to remove the head lice. You should repeat this natural cure several nights in a row.
3. Salt: You can also use salt to eradicate head lead through desiccation. You should mix ¼ cup of vinegar and ¼ cup of salt thoroughly. You should gently spray this home remedy onto your hair so your hair becomes slightly wet.
You should put a shower cap and let it for about 2 hours. Then you should wash and condition your hair. You should repeat this home treatment every 3 days if you want to get positive results.
4. Olive oil: This home remedy is effectively smother and it can kill the head lice. You should apply any type of olive oil to your hair generously before you go to sleeping. You should put a towel or shower cap on your head because this will keep the oil on your hair throughout the night.
When you wake up, you should comb out the tiny parasites and then you should wash your hair with some herbal shampoo which has tea tree oil as its component. Also there is another option and that is to mix ½ cup of olive oil with ½ cup of conditioner and you should add some liquid soap to it.
You should apply this home remedy onto your hair. Let it stay there for 60 minutes. Then, you should rinse out your hair and you should apply conditioner. You should comb your hair thoroughly to remove the dead head lice. You should repeat this home remedy again after one week to get the best results.
5. Baby oil: This is also a very effective home remedy for head lice. It is believed that the baby oil can help to suffocate the head lice. You should apply some baby oil on your hair. Then, you should comb your hair slowly so the lice will start to fall from your head.
Then, you should wash your hair using hot water and laundry detergent. Before you go to bed, you should put some white vinegar on your head and you should cover your head with a towel or shower cap.
You should let it stay there throughout all night. When you wake up, you should wash your hair using regular shampoo and then you should apply some conditioner. You should repeat this home treatment for at least 3 – 4 days because you will get positive results.
6. Garlic: Garlic has strong fragrance which can suffocate the lice and ultimately it will kill them. You should grind 8 – 10 garlic cloves into a paste. You should mix in 2 – 3 teaspoons of lime juice.
You should apply this home remedy thoroughly onto your scalp. You should let it stay there for thirty minutes and then you should rinse your hair thoroughly using hot water. Also you can make a thick paste by combining some shampoo and conditioner, green tea, lemon extract and some cooking oil.
You should coat your hair thoroughly using paste and you should cover your scalp using a shower cap or towel for about 30 minutes. Then, you should wash your hair using regular shampoo. You should repeat this home remedy on a weekly basis for 1 – 2 months.
7. Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise has a lot of oil which means that it has viscosity properties that will suffocate the live head lice. You should apply full – fat mayonnaise liberally over your scalp.
You should cover your hair using a towel or shower cap and let it stay there for about 8 hours or throughout the night. You should shampoo and then comb any remaining lice out of the hair. You should repeat this home remedy on a daily basis in a period of one week.
8. Sesame seed oil: Sesame seed oil is high in natural insecticide, antifungal and antibacterial properties which can be used to solve the problem of the head lice. You should mix together 10 drops of lavender essential oil, ½ teaspoon of rosemary essential oil, ½ teaspoon of eucalyptus essential oil, one teaspoon of tea tree oil, 1/8 cup of neem oil and ¼ cup of sesame seed oil.
You should rinse your hair using apple cider vinegar and you should allow it to dry. You should apply this home remedy to the hair and scalp. Cover it with a towel or shower cap and you should let it stay there throughout the night.
When you wake up, you should comb your hair thoroughly because it can help you to remove the dead lice. Then, you should shampoo your hair as you always do. You should repeat this home remedy every day in a period of 1 or 2 weeks.
9. White vinegar: White vinegar is inexpensive and safe home remedy for eliminating the head lice. This home remedy has acetic acid which can destroy the head lice. You should dilute white vinegar with an equal amount of water.
You should saturate the hair and scalp with this home remedy and then you should wrap a towel around your hair for about one or two hours. Next, you should dip a comb in white vinegar and you should comb your hair, focusing on one small section of hair at a time. Also you can rinse your hair using white vinegar before and after you shampoo your hair.
10. Coconut oil: Coconut oil has lubricant nature which will stop the head lice from moving around and it can prevent from multiplying. First, you should rinse your hair thoroughly using apple cider vinegar and you should allow it to dry.
Then, you should completely saturate the hair and your scalp with the coconut oil. You should cover your head using a towel or shower cap and you should let it on for 6 – 8 hours or overnight. In the morning, you should comb your hair and then you should use your shampoo as usual.
You should repeat this home remedy for a week to eradicate the head lice. If you want to make this home remedy more effective, then you should add several drops of anise essential oil to the coconut oil prior to application.