Coronavirus is a very common kind of virus. It is causing an infection in the sinuses, nose or upper throat.
What causes coronavirus?
Health officials are not sure of the cause of coronavirus yet or how easily it can spread. This virus is found in many animals, including bats, cats, cattle and camels. In one study, was shown that snakes can also be a source of the virus.
Also, the virus may be linked to a seafood and live animal market in Wuhan which has been closed. It is believed that the recent outbreak of coronavirus have occurred in a market for illegal wildlife in the Central Chinese City of Wuhan.
The WHO and Chinese health authorities are investigating the outbreak of recent coronavirus, which has claimed 17 lives and reportedly infected hundreds. There is no specific treatment for the virus.
Doctors are usually giving to their patients a supportive care for their symptoms, such as pain relievers and fluids. Those patients that are hospitalized may need support with breathing.
When coronavirus started?
Coronavirus was first identified in the 1960s, but doctors do not know where they come from. This virus gets the name from the crown – like shape. In some cases, it can infect both animals and humans.
How coronavirus spread
Most types of coronaviruses spread the same way as other cold – causing viruses, through infected people sneezing and coughing; by touching the face or hands of the infected person; by touching things, such as doorknobs that infected people have touched.
It is noticed that almost everyone gets this infection at least once in their life, most likely as a child. It is noticed that the coronavirus is most common in fall and winter, but every single person can get it at any time.
Types of coronavirus
There are different types of coronaviruses which vary in the severity of illness they cause and how far they can spread. Currently, there are six recognized types of coronavirus which can infect people. Here are the most common types of the virus:
- HKU1 (beta coronavirus)
- OC43 (beta coronavirus)
- 229E (alpha coronavirus)
- NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
The most dangerous, but rare types of coronavirus, include SARS – CoV (severe acute respiratory syndrome), the coronavirus which is responsible for SARS and MERS – CoV, which is the cause for MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome).
What are the symptoms of coronavirus?
The most common symptoms of coronavirus include sore throat, coughing, runny nose and sometimes a fever. There are some cases when people do not know if they suffer from coronavirus, because the symptoms of this condition are very similar to others.
Your doctor will make lab tests, including nose and throat cultures and blood work, to find out if your cold was caused by a coronavirus. If the coronavirus spreads to the lower respiratory tract, it can cause pneumonia, especially in older people, people with weak immune system and people with heart disease.
You should know that there is no vaccine for coronavirus. You need to ask your doctor for permission about the below mentioned home remedies for coronavirus, so you will stay away from side effects and worsening of the symptoms.
Risk factors for coronavirus
The coronavirus can spread from person to person. Health officials have seen that this is happening most often where people are close together and in the health care settings and till that date, 16 health care workers have been infected with the virus. The recent risk factors for coronavirus include:
- Recent travel to Arabian Peninsula and China: If you have recently traveled to these countries and in a period of 14 days after traveling from them, you develop symptoms, such as shortness of breath or cough, then visit your doctor as soon as possible and do not forget to tell about your recent travel.
- Close contact with citizen of Arabian Peninsula and China: If you had a close contact with some citizen of these countries and you develop symptoms, like fever, cough or shortness of breath, then talk with your doctor and notice if your condition has worsened in a period of 14 days, starting from the day you were last exposed to the ill person.
- Close contact to a confirmed case of MERS: If you has a contact with a person who has confirmed case of MERS, then you have increased risk of getting coronavirus and you need to see your doctor as soon as possible.
How to prevent coronavirus
1. Wash your hands: It is very important to wash your hands regularly using soap and warm water. Also, you can wash your hands with an alcohol – based hand sanitizer. In this way, you will keep yourself clean and you will prevent any chance of getting the coronavirus from other people.
When people are infected, they can cough or sneeze and transfer this virus to things that they touch. You need to wash your hands at least twenty seconds with disinfectant.
2. Avoid close contact with infected people: You can easily get the virus if you are in contact with people who are infected. This is a reason why you should stay away from all infected people that you know. This will decrease your chances of getting infected with coronavirus.
3. Do not smoke: It is known that smoke can worsen the symptoms of coronavirus, so you need to quit smoking and avoid going to smoking areas as much as possible.
4. Drink plenty of liquids: They can help you to stay hydrated and also, they can help to flush out toxins from your body. You can add water and herbal teas in your diet.
5. Stay home and rest: It is recommended to people who suffer from coronavirus to stay at their homes and to take a good rest. In this way, then can prevent the virus from spreading to other people and you will give your body a full recovery that it needs a lot.
6. Clean your home: It is very important to clean and disinfect objects and surfaces at your home, so in this way you will decrease your chances of getting the virus, if some family member has it.
7. Yoga: You can do yoga when you are affected by the virus. It will give you a relaxing feeling to your body and mind, so for some period you will not think about your infection.
8. Steamy shower: It has been noticed that the steamy shower can help to ease the sore and scratchy throat. You can get the same effect if you use a humidifier. It is your choice to decide which will work better for you. The hot shower can help you to get a relief from the pain.
9. Gargle with warm water: This home remedy can give you a relief from the sore throat, so you can try it as your home remedy for coronavirus.
10. Have your own towel: It is very important to have your own towel, because the person infected with the virus can spread it with the touch and you can easily get it. When you have a clean towel that is used just by you, then you will be sure that you are healthy.
11. Use a tissue: When you are coughing and sneezing, you need to use a tissue, so in case you are infected with the virus, you will not transmit it to other people.
12. Thoroughly cook: You need to thoroughly cook the meat and eggs, because the virus can be spread through them, so in this way you will minimize your chances of getting it.
13. Avoid unprotected contact with animals: It is known fact that coronavirus can affect animals too. This is a reason why you need to avoid having unprotected contact with farm animals or wild animals.
14. Wear a mask: When someone suffers from respiratory infection, then he or she needs to wear a mask, because it can help to protect people around him or her from illnesses.
When you wear a surgical mask, then it can somewhat protect you from an infection in a crowd if there is an outbreak. But in general, surgical masks are not closefitting enough to filter all the air you are breathing in.
15. Throw used tissues: If you have used a tissue, then you need to throw it in the garbage, so you will reduce the risk of transferring the virus to other people.
16. Keep your hands away: It is very important not to touch your mouth, nose and eyes with your hands and fingers, especially if you have been in some area that you suspect there are infected people with the virus. You need to wash your hands with soap and warm water and then you can touch your face.
12 Home Remedies For Coronavirus
1. Garlic: This natural cure has antibacterial and antiviral properties which can help in the fight against coronavirus. You need to take a couple of fresh garlic cloves early in the morning, or you can take garlic supplements.
2. Ginger tea: There are some studies in which are shown that the ginger tea can help to ease your headaches that are caused by the respiratory infections. You can use the ginger tea as your home remedy for coronavirus.
3. Salad: You need to detoxify your body, so you will not allow the coronavirus to cause pneumonia in your body. You can remove the toxins from your body with the help of mixed vegetable salad. You need to use detoxifying foods, such as broccoli, cabbage, radishes and beetroot.
You need to boil the mentioned ingredients and mix them gently. This is tasty and healthy home remedy which can help you in the fight against this virus.
4. Basil: When you suffer from coronavirus, then it is very important to have a good detoxification. The attack of this virus is contagious. You need to dissolve one to two teaspoons of honey in one cup of basil tea. You need to drink this type of tea, because it can help you in the fight against the infection.
5. Echinacea: This home remedy can help in the fight against coronavirus and you can easily find it in markets or pharmacies.
6. Cinnamon: There are some people who have reported improvements in their condition by using the cinnamon as their natural treatment for coronavirus, but you can talk with your doctor if it will be suitable for your condition.
7. Lemon tea: The lemon tea is prepared using black tea or green tea and by adding the right amount of lemon juice to it. There are some studies in which are shown that the lemon tea can help in the treatment of coronavirus. This home remedy can help to kill the infection from the passageway and it can remove the symptoms of the virus, like sore throat.
8. Menthol: This is component in many different formulations for relieving the cough and cold. You can add menthol in hot water and perform steam inhalation. It will give you a relief from the coughing and nasal congestion.
9. Lavender oil: You can inhale the lavender oil as your natural cure for the coronavirus.
10. Oregano oil: You can use oregano oil as your home remedy for the coronavirus, because it can help with the symptoms. It is important to remember not ingesting oregano oil and just to inhale it.
11. Mint tea: There are some studies in which are noticed that the mint tea can help to stop the runny nose and it can help in easy breathing. It is a good home remedy for the fight against coronavirus. You need to add the mint tea in your diet, so you will see improvements in your condition.
12. Lemon honey tea: This natural cure can help to soothe your airway passages and it can soften the rough coughs. This is a reason why you can use it as your home remedy for coronavirus. Do not doubt to add this tea in your diet as home remedy for this contagious virus.